View Single Post

Old 10-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Anonymous

Default 2000 Altima - rough idle

Just got back from a service station. Went in thinking I needed a tune-up (90k miles) because my car idled roughly in gear and neutral but was fine when in motion. I suggested the tune-up. The mechanic performed a minor tune-up (changed the 4 spark plugs....I could have done that) and then told me that my number 4 cylinder was weak at idle and that my problem would persist unless he performed other diagnostic checks that would cost $100 to start. He thinks it could be a fuel injector but was saying other things and $$$$ signs were flashing in front of me. Seems Nissan built the engine in such a way that a whole lot of parts need to be removed to diagnose this problem. He also said that there is a bit of oil that gets into the spark plug shafts (#1 and #2) via the manifold gasket or from the shaft itself. He showed me the oil that accumulates at the tip of the spark plug wires. The SES light was on for a while and do you believe it....it went off an hour BEFORE I brought the car in!! The light is no longer on at the moment. I put some injector cleaner with a full tank this morning. In years 1 and 2, I used to use the highest octane....but with the raising cost of gas, I have been using regular gas the past 3 years or so. I do regret not putting premium this morning with the cleaner though. Otherwise, the car runs fine.....except for those nagging Year 5 problems (headlight, battery, tail light, interior light, window switch, interior trunk light, etc. etc.).

Can you please help me. I would like to do some of these repairs myself if I don't need any special equipment. I used to make minor repairs to my older cars but haven't touched these new ones anymore.