View Single Post

Old 10-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Tech Enthusiast

2003 Frontier SC 4x4 Crew

I traded in my truck because of knock sensor problems. Nissan wouldn't cover it under the extended warranty and it was a long battle with several dealerships. I finally gave up and refused to pay for something my warranty should have covered.

I got 12mpg city and 16-17mpg on the hwy. If you get 17, you're about average. I had the supercharged model and lots of extra weight and mud tires though. If you are getting a knock sensor code, it's a real pain to replace and not for the average shade tree mechanic. My advice (after extensive research into this subject) is to just replace the sensor. I also recommend relocating the sensor to the side of the engine block. There are people who have done this successfully because you have to take everything off the top of the motor down to the block to get to it. If you relocate it, you can replace it yourself later. IT WILL FAIL LATER. They last about 100,000 or less I hear.

You can bypass it but I don't recommend it. It's there for a reason. Just bite the bullet and replace it. FOr some reason, Nissans are plauged with knock sensors and this is a common problem for them.

Good luck.