View Single Post

Old 03-03-2008, 06:44 AM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by moshiachnow View Post
We have had a history of getting the check engine light and an 0420 code. We took the car into the dealer, they charged us $95 and said that the ECM needed reprogramming. (We argued that we should not have to pay if it is a defect in the car and if there is a bulletin on it. Eventually - two months later - the dealer begrudgingly gave us a refund, after being contacted by Nissan's main offices).

So, the light went back on a day after they reprogrammed the ECM. It went off by itself a few weeks later. Now it is back on. I see that there is a voluntary recall for problems with a sensor that requires reprogramming the ECM. I also see that there is a service bulletin pointing out that sometimes the ECM will give an 0420 code, even though there is nothing wrong with the catalytic converter.

My question is, if we take the car in for the recall issue, we should not get charged for it, correct? The dealer says that they will charge $95 to inspect the car. I don't want to have to get involved with this headache again. Would some knowledgeable tech let me know what the proper response of an ethical dealer would be in this situation?
Thanks.
How many miles are on the car? Usually when these cars give you a p0420 code they do need a catalytic convertor. It is a simple check with the nissan scan tool to check the o2 sensor readings to determine if the cat. is working. It is covered for 8 years or 80,000 miles. The recalls apply only to specific vin #'s so if they run your car through nissans computer and it doesn't show an open recall they can't do it and get paid by nissan for it. The proper response of an ethical dealer would be to check the code for free to see if is indeed a p0420 code. If it is they should repair it under the 8/80 warranty. If not they should stop there and ask you to approve the diag charge for whatever code they found. Keep in mind that there are several reasons why the light can come on. There is a possibility that it is not related to the previous repair.
ASE Master Certified.

Last edited by mpe235; 03-03-2008 at 06:49 AM.