View Single Post

Old 01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
amtersigni

I just replaced both the cam and crank position sensor recently on my girl's 2005 altima because it was shutting off in traffic and RPM's jumping around. You can buy the sensors for $34 at Nissan (the new sensors are a cylinder type opposed to the old rectangular type). Nissan said this was the 3rd or 4th revision to the sensor. This is a known issue and a big problem for them.
The cam sensor is easy to replace it will take a total of 5-10 mins MAX. The crank sensor is a little bit more difficult but can be done. It is on the rear right hand side of engine if look at it from the front of car. If you take the plastic cover off of the engine and lean over engine looking down the rear of it, you can see the sensor to you get a good idea where it is located and the green tab you have to push down. You basically have to feel for the sensor. I used a small flat tip screw driver to push the green tab down which released the connector. I used a 10mm to remove the bolt holding the sensor in place (You will have to play with different short ext. for the socket until you find on that makes it easy for you to remove the bolt). Once the old sensor is remove clean the hole where it was located. Attach the new sensor to the wiring harness before placing the new sensor in place.