View Single Post

Old 12-14-2007, 06:57 PM

2004 Maxima

Default Leaking ATF on right side oil seal

Well, I thought I would seek some good advise on a small, persistent transmission fluid leak from the right side oil seal where the CV shaft enters the differential on my 2004 Max. Long story short, I had to replace the passenger side CV half-shaft due to a torn inner boot. Actually I've had the CV half-shaft out 3 times now. The first time the parts store gave me the wrong part and I had to reassemble with the original part. I had no leak after this re-assemble. When the right part came in I put the new CV half-shaft in and the leak started. It only leaks when the car is driven and the leak is very small. So after two weeks I get a new oil seal from Nissan and re-do the entire job paying special attention to not damaging the oil seal on the re-install. Even with the new oil seal I still have the same small leak. I checked how well the seal fit on the axle before putting them on the car and it fit very nicely. So now that I am pretty confident about the new seal, I'm kind of wondering if there isn't some kind of problem with the new CV axle. Maybe it isn't perfectly straight or perfectly round or something. Anyone seen this issue or have any ideas? This is starting to get really frustrating. :censored:

Last edited by Longhorn101; 12-23-2007 at 06:27 PM.