View Single Post

Old 10-07-2007, 05:25 PM
2015 Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Denney View Post
this is that info..... buddy has a 2001 VQ35 Pathfinder and his MAF recently died. He was getting rough idling, stalling, no power, and couldn't rev past 2400 rpms because the car was in fail safe mode. This was more pronounced when the car was cold.

Instead of getting the Nissan specified replacement MAF for $400-$500, I tried a MAF from a 2001 VQ30 Nissan Maxima, part number 22680-2Y001. This is a proven solution for VQ35 Maximas, so I figured it would work with the Pathfinder too since according to the FSM for both Pathfinder and Maxima, the voltage specs are identical:

Idle: 1.2-1.8 V
2500 RPMs: 1.6-2.2

The sensor is direct a direct swap, as is the entire MAF tube, should you not have the Torx bits to pull out just the sensor. The Pathfinder MAF Torx bits had some security pattern while the Maxima MAF did not; I usually just use a T-20 bit to pull the sensor out. Anyway, since I couldn't get the Pathfinder sensor out, I just swapped the entire MAF tube and it was a perfect fit.

I checked this with Dave Burnette of South Point Nissan in Austin TX, who is a reliable source of information and knowledge on Nissans in general, and he thinks that this should work just fine. As you probably figured, I also bought the part from him for $83 plus $15 for 2 day shipping. It would have been something like $5 for regular 3-5 day shipping. Of course, any one of you can call him and get this price, or you can pick one of these up from most dealerships for about $100-$120. If you get this on your own, make sure the part number ends in 2Y001.

Anyway, the car runs fine now and seems like its back to normal. I'll update you again in a few weeks, but I'm confident this alternative solution will work out. Just thought I'd share this with you guys since it seems that blown MAFs are a common fault with these cars.

Link to discussion on this MAF alternative over at maxima.org:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=348395

edit by 88: Reply to first post with additional info:

I was actually looking through the 2002-2004 Pathfinder FSMs and see that the MAFs for those are identical except for an IAT thermistor, much like for the 2002+ Maximas in the link above. In other words, this little fix can be done on 2002-2004 Pathfinders as well, but you'd need to pull the IAT thermistor off the existing MAF and clip it into the 2001 Maxima MAF for there not to be a CEL. Even without the IAT, the MAF will work fine but you'll trip the IAT malfunction code.

Thanks for the info. I have never tried the maxima airflow meter in a pathfinder but it is good to know that it works.
ASE Master Certified.