View Single Post

Old 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast

2000 Maxima

Default Maxima 01, P0505 IACV...

got a car that has had a P0505 code for a while now. The rpms would go up and down when idling, car surging when driving, just like in other posts. Doing a P0505 Malfunction A and B test according to the Service Manual, the code would always come back doing a B test. Unfortunately, the car was driven with a bad IACV for a while, and finally this week got a new IACV(from salvaged car), but when removing the old IACV, the harness was a bit melted together, and after some work was unstuck from the IACV.

With the new IACV valve installed(including the metal body into which the IACV is inserted), the car does the same thing, idling up and down, and Malfunction B test lights up the code after the reset.

In addition, i've checked for continuity between 4 ECM wires going to the IACV harness, and the 2 wires supplying 12v to the harness, and all wiring is good. When doing the vacuum test, with the wheel turning and not, there is vacuum. Resistance between valve connectors of 22ohms is all good.

Reading about IACV going bad and burning of the ECM may explain the melted harness.

In light of that scary thought of ECM being shot, i have few questions to determine what to do next:
- What are the electric motor mounts, and where are they? (the culprits that started this whole problem). What to do with these mounts? I've searched the Service Manuals for that term, and it must go by a different name.
- IACV air volume learning...can i do that? Or can the dealer only do that, is it worth the shot to do the learning before replacing ECM based on the facts stated above?
- Can i test with dvom to see if ECM is fried?
- Can the car be driven at this point with new IACV valve, removed mounts(if i unplug them), and potentially burned ECM?

You help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Enso~