Thread: 2005 Tranny
View Single Post

Old 10-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Master Enthusiast
2006 Pathfinder
2003 Frontier King Cab
2003 Frontier KC SVE 4x4

Valvoline Maxlife full-synthetic ATF is compatible for use in Nissan-matic Type "J" and "S" applications. It's good stuff and I've logged a combined 200,000+ miles using Maxlife in my '06 and '08 Pathfinders. Nissan-matic "J" ATF is made by Castrol and is the same as Castrol Transmax Multi-import ATF. Most (if not all) transmission fluids that meet the JASO-A1 Japanese specifications will work fine in your transmission and that includes most of the synthetics on the market (Amsoil, Royal Purple, to name a couple of more that will work). For proof that it is compatible with Nissan-matic "J," try this link:

content.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf

As far as your transmission solenoids, there are seven of them, along with the transmission control module (TCM), mounted to the transmission valve body. Nissan doesn't sell the solenoids separately, however, you can sometimes locate them on the aftermarket with some searching on the web. Nissan only sells the TCM/valve body as an assembly.
Do you have a contamination issue that caused the solenoid to fail? That's hard to say unless you find evidence of engine coolant-engine oil cross-contamination. This would show up as anything from white streaks to a pink-colored custard on your transmission dipstick or in the pan. It could be just that the solenoid, itself, failed or there is a shorted or open circuit to that solenoid. The trouble code can be used to search for the diagnostic procedure located in the factory service manual for your vehicle; NiCo Club's site has free, downloadable, Nissan factory service manuals at their website.
Another problem I've seen is that sometimes sludge will develop under the TCM, where it mounts on the valve body. When you remove the TCM, there are electrical contacts that may be affected by the sludge. It can be cleaned in suck cases, but takes a lot of care and patience to do so.
BTW, there is no filter inside your transmission. Jatco automatic transmissions typically have just a metal screen that is usually not replaced during a service. The idea is that there is enough debris in the fluid to restrict or clog the flow of fluid through the screen, then the trans needs an overhaul, not a service. That's what they told me when I took the A/T course at Nissan's training center, years ago. Also, if you drop the pan, you are supposed to replace all of the trans pan bolts when you install the pan; the reason is that there is a sealer applied to the threads of the bolts. I also highly recommend you use a genuine Nissan trans pan gasket.