View Single Post

Old 07-29-2017, 06:59 AM
2017 Rogue
2005 Quest

Smile

Well, it's been a while, but the Quest drives perfectly as of yesterday. Thanks to the manual being at Nico, and being directed to it from here, I learned the code specifically states that the most likely cause was mechanical failure in the trans. Boy was that spot on. First I noted line pressure would spike, then fade right down. That prompted a pan-pull to do a solenoid check. It's tight to get out, had to take top trans mount bolt out and then I got a 7/8 socket between the case and subframe. Just enough room to remove the trans pan. Both magnets were loaded up big time with metal filings. To remove the solenoids, the valve body had to come out. Three out of five solenoids would not even click when I applied 12V, one hummed/buzzed. Of the two that clicked, neither would seal when activated.
With the valve body out, you can see one of the clutch packs and I pushed on the discs and they moved around with a lot of slop. No way a clutch pack should have that much clearance! I could make the discs rattle!
Then, looking at the removed valve body, there is a lot of grit on the upper surfaces. At that point I figure there were multiple stuck or sticking valves that caused the solenoids to burn out.
Soooo, knowing a rebuild trans was over 3k, I searched and found a 77K miles trans a little over an hour away.
That meant the subframe got to come down, engine and all! Yaaaaa!
Actually a pretty smooth job except for the steering coupler at the rack, which was rusted solid. Can't forget to take the bottom 4 bell bolts and torque converter bolts out before dropping the frame on 4 jackstands. With the body up and out of the way, the trans swapped over in about 35 minutes, do the 4 bell bolts and torque converter when back up again.
Test drive was sweet, with all four forward gears again.

Again, thanks to the members of the forum for help in gettin 'er dun!